- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper
- until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until
- melted. Stir in Parmesan cheese just until melted. Remove from the
- heat; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage
- and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add the
- garlic, oregano, marjoram and fennel; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add roasted peppers and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 3
- tablespoons. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese and nutmeg.
- Spread 1/2 cup cheese sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated
- with cooking spray. Top with three noodles, half of the sausage
- mixture, half of the spinach mixture and 1 cup sauce; repeat layers.
- Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella
- Cover and bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20
- minutes longer or until heated through and top is lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 279 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 664 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.