Spinach and Sausage Pie Recipe
A flaky homemade crust holds up well in this pleasing pie brimming with sausage, cheese and vegetables. Serve it for breakfast lunch or dinner along with a fruit cup or garden salad.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 7 to 9 tablespoons water
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook sausage and onion in a skillet until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; drain and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine ricotta and 2 eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella, Parmesan, flour and sausage mixture; mix well. Divide dough in half; roll one half to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Spoon filling into crust. Roll remaining pastry for top crust; place over filling. Flute edges and cut slits in top crust. Beat remaining egg and brush over top crust. Place on lower rack in oven.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. If necessary, cover edges of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 602 calories, 39 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 183 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC