Spinach and Garbanzo Skillet Recipe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, saute the garlic, basil and pepper in hot oil for 30 seconds. Stir in beans and squash until evenly coated with spices. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring three times.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, vinegar and honey until smooth. Stir into bean mixture. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in spinach and tomatoes; heat through. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 193 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.