Spinach and Blue Cheese Salad
A simple dressing made of currant jelly and balsamic vinegar coats this colorful salad, sprinkled with crunchy pine nuts. If you like blue cheese, you’ll love this refreshing toss. —Grace Sandvigen, Rochester, New York
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- For dressing, heat jelly in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring
- until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, oranges, onion
- and blue cheese. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle
- with pine nuts. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.