Spinach & Feta Stuffed Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1. Starting at one long side, cut steak horizontally in half to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak flat; cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over steak to within 1 in. of edges. Layer with spinach, tomatoes, onion and remaining cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie at 1-1/2 in. intervals with kitchen string. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper.
- 3. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix broth, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste; pour over top. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove beef to a platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. Mix remaining flour and wine until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve beef with gravy and, if desired, noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice with 3 tablespoons gravy (calculated without noodles): 367 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Spinach & Feta Stuffed Flank Steak
"Amazing! The flavors of the stuffing meld so nicely with the flank steak and oh my gosh the gravy. The flavors from the meat and the merlot, the gravy is to die for. A definite do again and again"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.