- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- Starting at one long side, cut steak horizontally in half to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak flat; cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over steak to within 1 in. of edges. Layer with spinach, tomatoes, onion and remaining cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie at 1-1/2 in. intervals with kitchen string. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides; drain. Transfer to a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix broth, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste; pour over top. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef to a platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring juices to a boil. Mix remaining flour and wine until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve beef with gravy and, if desired, noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach & Feta Stuffed Flank Steak in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p27
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Spinach & Feta Stuffed Flank Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review