For a brunch showstopper, we make chicken pie with phyllo and spinach. Even our kids go for it. It's so good served with a minty fruit salad. —Katie Ferrier Gage, Houston, Texas
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook chicken and onion over medium-high heat 7-9 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, breaking up chicken into crumbles; drain. Stir in seasonings. Add spinach; cook and stir until liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Stir in beaten eggs and cheese.
- Layer 10 sheets of phyllo dough in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, spritzing each with cooking spray. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Spread spinach mixture over phyllo. Top with remaining sheets of phyllo, spritzing each with cooking spray. Cut into eight rectangles.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. If necessary, recut rectangles before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spinach & Chicken Phyllo Pie in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Reviews for Spinach & Chicken Phyllo Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review