A meal in itself, here's a hearty soup from Reuben Tsujimura in Walla Walla, Washington that's chock-full of good-for-you veggies and vitamins. Serve with crunchy breadsticks and no one will even miss the meat!
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until onion is tender. Add
- garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, kale,
- water, pasta, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is
- tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 238 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 738 mg sodium,