A meal in itself, here's a hearty soup from Reuben Tsujimura in Walla Walla, Washington that's chock-full of good-for-you veggies and vitamins. Serve with crunchy breadsticks and no one will even miss the meat!
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, kale, water, pasta, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spill-the-Beans Minestrone in Light & Tasty December/January 2008, p56
Reviews for Spill-the-Beans Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2012
"This is the recipe I've been searching for. We tried it from the magazine years ago--then I lost the recipe. So glad to find it again! We are vegetarians, and this is a perfect soup for us! Our favorite minestrone!"