Spiedis is a traditional Italian dish featuring skewered meat grilled like kabobs, then wrapped in Italian bread and eaten like a sandwich. The seasonings in this recipe work well with pork, beef, lamb, poultry and other meats. —Gertrude Skinner, Binghamton, New York
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless lean pork, beef, lamb, venison, chicken or turkey, cut into 1-1/2-to 2-inch cubes
- Italian rolls or hot dog buns
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onion and seasonings; add meat. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Thread meat on metal or soaked wooden skewers. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill meat, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 10-15 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness, turning occasionally. Remove meat from skewers and serve on long Italian rolls or hot dog buns. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 323 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Spiedies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC