Spooky Spider Cupcakes are creepy—and easy! Make a chocolate cupcake into a spider by adding a half-marshmallow "body" under the frosting, licorice legs and mini M&M eyes. Add chocolate sprinkles for a "hairy" effect. —Darla Wester, Meriden, Iowa
24 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 48 M&M's minis
- 192 pieces black licorice (3 inches)
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions.
- Fill 24 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for
- 21-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, butter
- and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cool to 110°. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat until thickened and
- mixture begins to lose its gloss, about 8 minutes.
- Cut marshmallows in half crosswise; place a half on each cupcake.