Spicy White Chili Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream and sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions in oil until tender. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne and cloves; cook and stir 2-3 minutes more. Add broth, chicken and beans; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with sour cream and jalapeno peppers if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 each: 324 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein
Reviews for Spicy White Chili
"This was absolutely flavorful and delicious! It was a hit with my family. The addition of shredded cheese & sour cream took this recipe over the top. I substituted the chicken with ground turkey & omitted the green chilies and jalapeno peppers. So that the meat was flavored well, I seasoned it with seasoning salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and lots of celery flakes. I also thickened the soup a little. The only other change was I used the shredded cheese mixture of monterey jack/ cheddar. I'm a fan. Thank you."
"Great flavor with just the right amount of spice. I reduced the northern beans to 2 cans and reduced the cloves to 1/8 teaspoon. Really loved the combination of the green chilis & cheese."
"Thank you for posting this recipe."
"Absolutely delicious! I used mild green chiles (as recipe didn't indicate mild or hot) and used a warm rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to cut up for the soup. I also used olive oil instead of canola oil simply because I don't like the taste of canola. Did not use jalapenos. I halved the recipe as I generally cook for only 2-3 people, but other than that I made it exactly as the original recipe. So incredibly easy and delicious!! Definitely garnish with a dollop of sour cream. Yum!"
"EXCELLENT!!!!! This chili is the best. Not to hot. I only used 1 can of chilies and put in a package of Taco seasoning...FANTASTIC~~~~"
"This chili is not near as spicy as you would think but it is very good. To add a little heat, I did garnish with jalapenos as suggested. I also omitted the cloves. This is a keeper!"
"Making it again today. I just left out the nutmeg b/c I'm not a fan. My fiancé loves this recipe too. TY for posting it."
"This is the best white chili I've ever had! My whole family loves it. It is requested quite often."
"this is the best white chili i have had, my family loves it also"
"This is AMAZING. I didn't have green chilies or cayenne on hand, but made it anyway. So it was milder, but it was so flavorful!"