- 3 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spicy marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- Grated Parmesan cheese and julienned fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Cut squashes and peppers into 1/4-in. julienne strips. In a 12-in. cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms and julienned vegetables; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in seasonings. Add marinara sauce and pasta; toss to combine. Top with cheese pearls.
- Transfer to oven; bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Veggie Pasta Bake in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spicy Veggie Pasta Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2016
"This is is an excellent and easy dish that comes together quickly and really satisfies the hungry eaters in my house (all 2 of us!).I don't care for marinara sauce from a jar, so I whipped up a batch of my own while the pasta was cooking and used that instead. I also added the mushrooms with the pasta and sauce just before baking, as I prefer a little firmer texture to them. Finally, I didn't have mozzarella pearls, so I used shredded instead. The result was a great dish. Of course, we had leftovers, and it was even better the second day! Simple, deliciuos, one of those recipes you'll return to time and again!"