Spicy Vegetable Chili Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Minced fresh cilantro and fat-free sour cream, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrot, pepper, mushrooms and zucchini in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, green chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Stir in vinegar. Serve in soup bowls; garnish each with cilantro and sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without sour cream) equals 195 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.