- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Minced fresh cilantro and fat-free sour cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, carrot, pepper, mushrooms and zucchini in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, green chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vinegar. Serve in soup bowls; garnish each with cilantro and sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Spicy Vegetable Chili
Sort By :
This was very good. My husband doesn't like a lot of the ingredients that was in this but I thought I would give it a try anyway. He liked it a lot and said that this was one to make again. I did cut the spice in half like others suggested and it turned out perfect. Thanks so much!
I added a can of baked beans and black beans for reasons I'm not sure of lol but it was yummy.
Unless really spicy is what you're after, I would leave out the cumin, decrease chili powder by half. I added a cup of frozen corn and 1 cup of salsa since I didn't have tomato sauce and 1/2 tsp salt.
Can anyone tell me what the idea is behind adding the vinegar?
It's just a flavor enhancer.
I would use black beans to bump upthefiber.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Chili Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Chili Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Soup Recipes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >