Spicy Turkey Tacos Recipe
- 8 taco shells
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- Cubed avocado and additional salsa, optional
- 1. Heat taco shells according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in salsa and spices; heat through. Serve immediately, or cool before placing in a freezer container.
- 3. To serve, fill each taco shell with 1/3 cup turkey mixture. Serve with lettuce, cheese, sour cream and optional ingredients if desired. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen taco meat: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat through. Serve as directed. Yield: 4 servings.
2 tacos (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.