Spicy Turkey Chili
"This peppery chili is not for the faint of stomach," assures Margaret Shauers of Great Bend, Kansas. "It's saucy and satisfying---according to my daughter, it's the one thing she can taste when she has a cold. It also freezes very well," adds Margaret.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 pounds ground turkey or turkey sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth or beer
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook the turkey, onion and
- garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add
- remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 195 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein.