When you'd rather be playing than cooking, you might want to give Birmingham, Alabama cook Jaime Hampton's tomato soup a try. Using canned corn and black beans, it goes together fast and is a great accompaniment to sandwiches.
Recommended: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomato juice, corn, beans, salsa, oregano, garlic powder, basil, cumin and pepper flakes if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; stir into the soup. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Tomato Soup in Country Woman May/June 2006, p45
Reviews for Spicy Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2010
"Very tasty & comforting, especially in winter. Didn't think it was spicy but that's ok. My son & i loved it!"
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2008
"Very good! Wouldn't change a thing!"