Spicy Tomato Soup Recipe
When you'd rather be playing than cooking, you might want to give Birmingham, Alabama cook Jaime Hampton's tomato soup a try. Using canned corn and black beans, it goes together fast and is a great accompaniment to sandwiches.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomato juice, corn, beans, salsa, oregano, garlic powder, basil, cumin and pepper flakes if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- 2. Drain macaroni; stir into the soup. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 174 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 699 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC