Spicy Tomato Juice Recipe
- 13 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 40 medium)
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Quarter tomatoes; place in a 6-qt. Dutch oven. Add celery, onions, green pepper and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse five 1-quart plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. Cool tomato mixture slightly; put through a sieve or food mill. Return to pan. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cool.
- 3. Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen juice in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 5 quarts.
1 cup: 95 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Tomato Juice
"This was an awesome no brainer in my book! This juice is excellent. I had been looking for something to make my Bloody Mary's with that was low sodium and what I did find that was low sodium was not really low sodium for me. This fit the bill beyond words and I now have something for my Bloody Mary's and I can control the salt. Excellent flavor! All smiles now!"