Spicy Three-Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) spicy fat-free refried beans
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, broth, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in refried beans; simmer 10 minutes longer. Garnish each serving with 2 teaspoons each of cheese and green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/4 cup: 201 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Spicy Three-Bean Chili
"This is definitely a nice fresh style chili that is wonderful with tortilla chips. It was a tad bland for our taste so we added, fresh lime, fresh cilantro, salt, and coriander"
"I have made this recipe several times. I just love it!!! It's thick and hearty with enough kick, but not too much that rips your lips off!"
"Fantastic recipe and it's simply Perfect for the Lenten season, too"