- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) spicy fat-free refried beans
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute the peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, broth, chili powder, cumin and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in refried beans; simmer 10 minutes longer. Garnish each serving with 2 teaspoons each of cheese and green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Spicy Three-Bean Chili
"This is definitely a nice fresh style chili that is wonderful with tortilla chips. It was a tad bland for our taste so we added, fresh lime, fresh cilantro, salt, and coriander"
"I have made this recipe several times. I just love it!!! It's thick and hearty with enough kick, but not too much that rips your lips off!"
"Fantastic recipe and it's simply Perfect for the Lenten season, too"
"This recipe turns out so quick and so good, it's a keeper, for sure. One my family will be making many more times as well, as we like spicy chili. It's definitely going in our recipe box."