Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms
These savory stuffed mushrooms have been a huge hit with family and friends in Belleville, Michigan for years, says Amy Prey. For a little less heat, substitute a milder sausage and different cheese for the pepper Jack.
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Ground Sausage
- 24 large fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or
- until no longer pink; drain.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop; set caps aside. In a
- large skillet, saute the stems, onions and garlic in butter for 4-5
- minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the sausage, bread crumbs and
- 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons into each mushroom cap. Place on a
- foil-lined baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at
- 350° for 22-25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 81 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.