These savory stuffed mushrooms have been a huge hit with family and friends in Belleville, Michigan for years, says Amy Prey. For a little less heat, substitute a milder sausage and different cheese for the pepper Jack.
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 24 large fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink; drain.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop; set caps aside. In a large skillet, saute the stems, onions and garlic in butter for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the sausage, bread crumbs and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons into each mushroom cap. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p42
Reviews for Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review