Spicy Steak Stew Recipe
"One night, I was running late and didn't know what to make for dinner," recalls Wendy Hughes, Easton, Pennsylvania. "So I tossed some steak and everything else I could think of into the pressure cooker. It was a great last-minute meal that tasted very good."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups cubed beef flank steak (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) onion-seasoned or regular beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups diced peeled potato
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a pressure cooker, cook steak, onion and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add broth; simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vegetables, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings.
- 2. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 15 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.) Immediately cool according to manufacturer’s directions until pressure is completely reduced.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC