Spicy Split Pea Soup
I like to bake a ham just so I can use the leftover bone to make my split pea soup. After moving to New Mexico a few years ago, I discovered folks here put peppers or chilies in almost everything. So I decided to add some to this soup.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 to 5 medium Anaheim peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 to 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, combine the peas, water, ham bone and bouillon;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer 1 hour longer. Remove ham bone and cut meat from bone.
- Return to the soup and heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about
- 2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 215 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 477 mg sodium,