Spicy Spanish Rice
This is a tasty dish perk up any “ho-hum” dinner. We especially like it with chicken enchiladas. I also prepare it for potlucks and family get-togethers. It’s a little different to bake rice, but it’s handy to not have to watch it on the stove. You can make the rice less spicy by choosing a more mild variety of the canned tomatoes with green chilies.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine the rice, onion, olives,
- cumin, tomatoes, water and oil. Cover and bake at 350° for 45
- Stir in cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until rice
- is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cilantro if desired.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 186 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.