Spicy Spanish Rice Recipe
This is a tasty dish perk up any “ho-hum” dinner. We especially like it with chicken enchiladas. I also prepare it for potlucks and family get-togethers. It’s a little different to bake rice, but it’s handy to not have to watch it on the stove. You can make the rice less spicy by choosing a more mild variety of the canned tomatoes with green chilies.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine rice, onion, olives, cumin, tomatoes, water and oil. Cover and bake 45 minutes.
- 2. Stir in cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cilantro if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 186 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC