I appreciate the fact that this hearty pasta sauce is quick to assemble and cooks in just a few hours. My husband and I have our hands full raising two children and 25,000 game birds on our farm.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomato paste, mushrooms and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 6-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Spicy Spaghetti Sauce in Country Woman September/October 2004, p31
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spicy Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review