Spicy Southern-Style Tomato Cups Recipe
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons sliced green onions, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine or cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon
- 1/3 cup canned whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups shredded salad greens
- 1. Cut a thin slice off tops of tomatoes. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; invert shells on paper towel to drain. Chop tops, pulp, and seeds; set aside. In a small skillet, saute 2 tablespoons onions and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil for about 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove from the heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons chopped pulp; mix well. Pour into a small bowl; set aside. In the same skillet, cook ham, corn, remaining onions and remaining pulp in remaining oil for 4 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Spoon into tomato shells. Serve on a bed of lettuce; drizzle with the reserved tomato-vinegar mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 259 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Southern-Style Tomato Cups
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.