Spicy Skillet Supper
"This recipe comes from my cousin," relates Dorothea Roberts of Tulsa, Oklahoma. "Using brown rice and turkey, she concocted this hearty and flavorful main course. I think it's a winner."
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet coated with cooking spray, brown turkey over medium
- heat; drain if necessary. Add chili beans, rice, salsa, vinegar and
- seasonings; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared without cheese) equals 248 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 944 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.