- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Add shrimp; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Shrimp Creole
"Made this for me and my boyfriend and we both thought that it was a hit! I added some more hot pepper sauce and omitted the Worcestershire sauce..by accident! Ooops!I will definitely make it again. Low cal & tasty indeed."
"Delicious! Just the right amount of heat for my family."
"Really tasty, easy and low calorie. How could you beat that? quick too!"