I created this creamy pasta dish when I needed to use up some marinara. Red pepper flakes give it a little heat, which my family loves. It's super versatile, so try it with chicken or stir in some fresh basil, too. —Lorri Stout, Gaithersburg, MD
Featured In: 30 Pasta Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta (about 12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the butter and half of the oil over medium-high heat. Saute 1 pound shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes until shrimp turns pink, 3-5 minutes; remove from pan. Repeat.
- In same pan, heat marinara sauce and cream just to a boil over medium heat, stirring to blend. Stir in spinach until wilted; add to pasta. Stir in shrimp; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Shrimp & Penne Pasta in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Shrimp & Penne Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review