Spicy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 package (6.6 ounces) instant mashed potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Shepherd's Pie
"Used 1 tsp chili powder, low sodium taco seasoning and 1/4 tsp salt. Otherwise made as written. I would definitely make again."
"I'm not sure why this highly-rated recipe didn't work. Wrong taco seasoning? Homemade mashed potatoes not thick enough? Too much sauce for the meat? Ugh. Sadly, it was a disaster for me."
"I thought it was a good recipe easy to make. I wouldn't use instant potatoes again, didn't like the taste of them!"
"Great recipe and easy to make . This recipe is definitely a keeper ."
"I'm going to try this recipe Sounds awesome. I do have a question and that is, would this keep well if I freeze part of this?"
"This is truly a 30 minute meal and the flavor was great. My family loved it."
"Made this for dinner last night and it was great! Very easy and yummy."
"I've made this a couple of times with good results. Used instant garlic mashed potatoes--yummy!"
"Make your own mashed potatoes and taco seasoning mix and this is a great meal..different from regular shepherd's pie but still delicious."
"This was really good & easy to make. A keeper."
"I got told by my son to put this in the regular recipe rotation! Easily made this with homemade mashed potatoes and left out the olives (because I don't care for them!) Great tasting as leftovers, too."
"Hey we love this recipe.I just substitute leftover mashed potatoes and use a home made taco seasoning mix. It's not a hard substitute and it turns out great!"
"This is GREAT!"
"My family and I tried this recipe last night. We have a few picky eaters, and it was a favorite with even the pickiest eater. It is definitely one of my new favorite recipes; although, I omitted the olives. It was a great recipe and very easy! I would recommend to anyone!"
"I was very skeptical when I first saw this recipe. It was absolutely incredible!! The only thing I did different was omit the chili powder because I was concerned it would be too spicy with the taco seasoning. Next time I will try adding it. But, even if you don't like the chili powder, it's a really good recipe that will now become a regular in our house!!"
"Hubby loves this meal. I use home made mashed potatoes and regular canned for frozen corn and omit the olives. That keeps the kids happy. This recipe is a nice change from regular shepherd's pie."
"This is so easy to make and one of my husband's favorite meals."
"easy enough but kind of boring. maybe add some beans or some mushrooms for more texture."
"Delicious! Not that spicy. No complaints from my 5 yr. Old"
"My husband and I both loved this recipe! It was a breeze to put together and tasted great. Easy and tasty comfort food."
"I have been making this dish since it first came out in the magazine. Our family loves it! Easy and delicious."
"My family loves this dish. The spices and olives kick it up a notch. I like to add green beans to the mix as well!"