Spicy Shepherd's Pie
Taco seasoning adds zip to this hearty main dish. It's easy to top with instant mashed potatoes, which I stir up while browning the beef.Mary Malchow, Neenah, Wisconsin
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.6 ounces) instant mashed potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile,
- in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco
- seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.