- 1 package (6.6 ounces) instant mashed potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
"Hey we love this recipe TeriOnThe Sandbar..I just substitute leftover mashed potatoes and use a home made taco seasoning mix. It's not a hard substitute and it turns out great!"
"This is GREAT! I would like to say too, that people who write such stupid reviews and talk about "ME ME ME" don't need to leave reviews. TeriOnTheSandbar, I'm so happy that you always try to use real food, but really??? Maybe next time you should just stick with Facebook..."
"Could you get any more processed? Packaged seasoning mix? I know there are no restrictions about these things with "Taste of Home," but at my house, we try to always use real food and packaged seasoning mix is not on that list, nor are instant mashed potatoes! Would welcome a recipe like this IF I could know what I was eating."
"My family and I tried this recipe last night. We have a few picky eaters, and it was a favorite with even the pickiest eater. It is definitely one of my new favorite recipes; although, I omitted the olives. It was a great recipe and very easy! I would recommend to anyone!"
"I was very skeptical when I first saw this recipe. It was absolutely incredible!! The only thing I did different was omit the chili powder because I was concerned it would be too spicy with the taco seasoning. Next time I will try adding it. But, even if you don't like the chili powder, it's a really good recipe that will now become a regular in our house!!"