- 1 package (6.6 ounces) instant mashed potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Shepherd's Pie
"I use Idahoan Instant Potatoes which is simply the best instant potatoes to my mind. To control the salt intake I use Ree Drummond's Homemade Taco Seasoning (via her site Pioneer Woman or Tasty Kitchen) cutting down as I see fit. I use no-salt tomatoes and a small can (8 oz.) no-salt corn. You might think you would miss the salt, but I have found that the flavor of the food really comes out when it isn't smothered in salt. Also I use more cheese than is called for. The more the merrier! Even better the next day.Such a delicious recipe, and a complete meal with a salad!"
"Used 1 tsp chili powder, low sodium taco seasoning and 1/4 tsp salt. Otherwise made as written. I would definitely make again."
"I'm not sure why this highly-rated recipe didn't work. Wrong taco seasoning? Homemade mashed potatoes not thick enough? Too much sauce for the meat? Ugh. Sadly, it was a disaster for me."
"I thought it was a good recipe easy to make. I wouldn't use instant potatoes again, didn't like the taste of them!"
"Great recipe and easy to make . This recipe is definitely a keeper ."
"I'm going to try this recipe Sounds awesome. I do have a question and that is, would this keep well if I freeze part of this?"
"This is truly a 30 minute meal and the flavor was great. My family loved it."
"I've made this a couple of times with good results. Used instant garlic mashed potatoes--yummy!"
"Make your own mashed potatoes and taco seasoning mix and this is a great meal..different from regular shepherd's pie but still delicious."