Spicy Sausage Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 dried whole red chilies
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 cups hot cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, until no longer pink; drain. Set the sausage aside and keep warm.
- 2. In another skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil; saute red chilies for 5-8 minutes or until they turn black. Discard chilies; cool oil slightly. Add the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in red peppers and sausage; heat through.
- 3. Toss spaghetti with remaining oil. Add tomato sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 611 calories, 29g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1370mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Sausage Spaghetti
"This recipe was really, really good; However, I felt there was not enough spaghetti sauce. Next time I will leave out the plum tomatoes, add a can of diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and tomato paste. I will be making this dish again! It was really pretty to look at, and the flavors incorporated very well together."
"This recipe deserves a 1000 stars. It is now my all time favorite spaghetti recipe. I've been making this since it out, and it never fails. This is a restaurant quality dish."
"chirawan, the "tomato sauce" directions are in the second paragraph. The sauce is made from the chilie-permeated oil, 28 oz.-can of plum tomatoes, seasonings, peppers and sausage. The directions in the third paragraph say to add this sauce (not canned tomato sauce)."
"Your ingredients need to include tomato sauce! Your instructions say to "add tomato sauce" but I didn't have any since it wasn't in the ingredients!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.