Spicy Sausage Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 dried whole red chilies
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 cups hot cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, until no longer pink; drain. Set the sausage aside and keep warm.
- 2. In another skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil; saute red chilies for 5-8 minutes or until they turn black. Discard chilies; cool oil slightly. Add the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in red peppers and sausage; heat through.
- 3. Toss spaghetti with remaining oil. Add tomato sauce; toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 611 calories, 29 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,370 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.