- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 pound bulk hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted or Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, bring broth to a boil. Carefully drop sausage by heaping teaspoonfuls into boiling broth. Add tortellini, tomatoes and Italian seasoning; return to a boil.
Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sausage is cooked through and pasta is tender. Stir in spinach until wilted.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Spicy Sausage Soup with Tortellini
"I used 2 cans of tomatoes & added some diced carrots & onion. Substituted kale for the spinach & added some garlic. Sprinkled with parmesan cheese to serve. Easy and delicious!"
"Flavor great, easy, fast and freezable."
"Excellent base. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, a little basil. Sprinkle a little parmesan on top as well."
"quick and easy. A filling meal and perfect when it's cold outside!"