Spicy Sausage Sandwiches
These hearty sandwiches are packed with downhome flavor. They're terrific for breakfast, lunch or a light supper. The pretty corn and pepper salsa is a garden-fresh topper for the browned sausage patties.Eileen Sullivan, Lady Lake, Florida
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 large fresh banana pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced Vidalia or sweet onion
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- 6 slices Colby/Jack cheese
- Remove seeds and membranes from jalapeno and banana peppers if
- desired (for a less spicy salsa). Dice peppers and place in a large
- bowl; Stir in the remaining salsa ingredients. Cover and refrigerate
- until ready to serve.
- Form the sausage into six patties; cook in a skillet over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink. Place each on a English muffin half;
- top with 1 tablespoon salsa and a slice of cheese. Cover with other
- muffin half. Serve with remaining salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or