Spicy Sausage Muffins Recipe
Ready for a change of pace? This muffin has a terrific spicy flavor with a good blend of herbs, sausage and cheese. It's very different from other savory muffins.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Hot Italian Ground Sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onions and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cilantro, baking soda, salt and thyme.
- 2. In another bowl, combine egg and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and sausage mixture.
- 3. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 129 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 351 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC