- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onions and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cilantro, baking soda, salt and thyme.
- In another bowl, combine egg and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and sausage mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Spicy Sausage Muffins in Best of Country Breads 2000, p16
Reviews for Spicy Sausage Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review