- 9 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Cook linguine according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, red pepper and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the garlic, fennel, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes and cream; heat through.
- Drain linguine; serve with sausage mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spicy Sausage Linguine(7)
Sort By :
Like lindafox3, I browned the sausage for a bit before adding the veggies. This came together quickly and we all enjoyed it. I also omitted the fennel seeds since they're not really my favorite and I think there are plenty of them in the Italian sausage that I buy...
You could try fat free half and half instead of the whipping cream
This recipe was really quick as I had ratatouille in the freezer that included all the vegetables in this recipe. I just added fennel and some red pepper flakes and omitted the cream because the recipe for me, didn't need it. I would make this recipe from 'scratch' even if I didn't have ready made ratatouille. It is quick and delicious either with bulk or encased sausage.
Wondering if someone can give me an idea of what would be a lower-fat substitute for the whipping cream? Your ideas are appreciated! I want to make this, it sounds great, though I will probably substitute turkey italian sausage.