Spicy Sausage and Penne Recipe
“I got the inspiration for this recipe from a dish at a local restaurant. It’s a quick meal-in-one that I fix often.” You can also substitute whatever pasta or veggies you have on hand for this versatile skillet supper. Brian Albright - Seward, NE
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to package directions, adding the vegetables during the last 6 minutes of cooking.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage; remove from skillet and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, mustard and pepper flakes; gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Drain pasta and vegetables; stir into the pan. Add cheese and reserved sausage; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 228 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC