- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to package directions, adding the vegetables during the last 6 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage; remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, mustard and pepper flakes; gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta and vegetables; stir into the pan. Add cheese and reserved sausage; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Sausage and Penne
Sort By :
"I loved this dish, and so did my family! The sauce is so creamy I can't believe it is such a healthy dish. I used whole grain penne, and it worked well. Next time I will double the recipe for leftovers."
"Different than your regular sausage recipes. I change this up by using whatever sausage I happen to have on hand. I only gave this a 4 because of all of the pans you need to wash afterwards."
"We all loved this dish. Easy to make and a little different taste than the usual penne and sausage casserole."
"This is a great foundation recipe. Didn't have mixed veggies so did without. Sauted onions, garlic and green bell pepper then regular smoked sausage. Followed the rest of the recipe and turned out fantastic. Expected to have leftovers but had to make more the next night!"
"This was a wonderful surprise! I didn't have the mixed veggies so I used frozen peas and corn. Only thing I did different was to add a little shredded sharp cheddar. Now my hubby who never gives high praises went back for seconds, so in my book that is a keeper."