Spicy Sausage and Pasta Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large green pepper,chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet. Add green pepper and onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar and chili powder.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the sour cream until blended. Drain macaroni; add to skillet. Cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 304 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 683 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.