Spicy Salsa Muffins
At a farmer's market in Coweta, Oklahoma the Grenter brothers sell with wonderful, slightly spicy muffins every Saturday. If you buy some, you can request a copy of the recipe.—Ginger Sullivan, Cutler Bay, Florida
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder
- and salt. In another bowl, combine the salsa, cream, butter and egg.
- Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for
- 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 167 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.