Spicy Rice Casserole
Here's a recipe that makes a terrific side dish, but I also serve it as a main dish along with corn bread. Make ahead, the casserole is easy to reheat in the microwave when you arrive at your potluck meal.
—Debbie Jones, California, Maryland
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound mild Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, finely minced and seeded
- 1 package (6-1/4 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, cumin and garlic powder over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add onions and
- green peppers; saute until crisp-tender.
- Dissolve bouillon in water; add to skillet. Stir in the jalapenos,
- rice and rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and
- simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 287 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 997 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.