Spicy Rice Casserole Recipe
Here's a recipe that makes a terrific side dish, but I also serve it as a main dish along with corn bread. Make ahead, the casserole is easy to reheat in the microwave when you arrive at your potluck meal. —Debbie Jones, California, Maryland
- 1 pound mild bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, finely minced and seeded
- 1 package (6-1/4 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, cumin and garlic powder over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add onions and green peppers; saute until crisp-tender.
- 2. Dissolve bouillon in water; add to skillet. Stir in the jalapenos, rice and rice seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 287 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 997 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC