Spicy Ribbon Potato Chips
You won't settle for store-bought chips again after munching these crispy deep-fried snacks. Seasoned with chili powder and cayenne pepper, the zippy paper-thin chips are surefire crowd-pleasers.
-Sue Murphy, Greenwood, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min./batch
- 4 medium unpeeled baking potatoes
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 cups ice water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut potatoes
- lengthwise into very thin strips. Place in a large bowl; add 3
- teaspoons salt and ice water. Soak for 30 minutes. Drain potatoes;
- place on paper towels and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, garlic salt, cayenne and
- remaining salt; set aside.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cook
- potatoes in oil in batches for 3-4 minutes or until deep golden
- brown, stirring frequently. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on
- paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Store in
- an airtight container. Yield: 8 servings.