Spicy Red Cabbage
For a different side dish from the mash potatoes, I serve this red cabbage dish. It all such a pop of color on the plate and it also very delicious.—Lisa Gibbons, Wildwood, Illinois
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) shredded sweet-and-sour red cabbage
- 5 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 small apples, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Drain cabbage, reserving liquid; set cabbage aside. Add enough water
- to liquid to equal 1-1/3 cups; set aside. In a large skillet, cook
- bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Discard all
- but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Cook the onion in drippings until
- tender. Add apples, vinegar, brown sugar and cloves. Combine flour
- with reserved liquid; pour into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cabbage and bacon; heat
- through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 151 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 274 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.