Spicy Red Cabbage Recipe
For a different side dish from the mash potatoes, I serve this red cabbage dish. It all such a pop of color on the plate and it also very delicious.—Lisa Gibbons, Wildwood, Illinois
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) shredded sweet-and-sour red cabbage
- 5 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 small apples, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Drain cabbage, reserving liquid; set cabbage aside. Add enough water to liquid to equal 1-1/3 cups; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Cook the onion in drippings until tender. Add apples, vinegar, brown sugar and cloves. Combine flour with reserved liquid; pour into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cabbage and bacon; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 151 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Red Cabbage
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC