Spicy Red Cabbage Recipe
For a different side dish from the mash potatoes, I serve this red cabbage dish. It all such a pop of color on the plate and it also very delicious.Lisa Gibbons, Wildwood, Illinois
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) shredded sweet-and-sour red cabbage
- 5 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 small apples, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Drain cabbage, reserving liquid; set cabbage aside. Add enough water to liquid to equal 1-1/3 cups; set aside. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Cook the onion in drippings until tender. Add apples, vinegar, brown sugar and cloves. Combine flour with reserved liquid; pour into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cabbage and bacon; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Red Cabbage in Country Woman September/October 1994, p35
Reviews for Spicy Red Cabbage(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review