Spicy Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 pound dry red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 quart water
- 1 large smoked ham hock
- 2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cooked rice
- 1. Sort and rinse beans. In a large Dutch oven or kettle, place all ingredients except parsley and rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, 3 to 4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally, adding water as needed to make a thick gravy. Just before serving, remove bay leaves and stir in parsley. Serve over rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 90 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 711mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Red Beans and Rice
"I have tried out several recipes lately, and this is BY FAR the best! We love it!!!"
"This recipe is so yummy and simple too. I will be making this for years to come. Thank you."
"This is a great recipe. My preparation is easier - I put everything all at once in a crock pot and cooked it all day. PERFECT!"