Spicy Red Beans and Rice Recipe
I guess I'm one of those women "who have moved from the country in body but not in heart"! Although I'm an attorney in a large city, my parents are ranchers. And, since they once grew rice, that's a staple of my cooking. Because of my busy schedule, I like dishes like this that can be easily reheated throughout the week. This was actually a soup recipe when I first found it. I needed a side dish, however, so I simply reduced the amount of water.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound dry red kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 quart water
- 1 large smoked ham hock
- 2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cooked rice
- 1. Sort and rinse beans. In a large Dutch oven or kettle, place all ingredients except parsley and rice. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, 3 to 4 hours or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally, adding water as needed to make a thick gravy. Just before serving, remove bay leaves and stir in parsley. Serve over rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 90 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 711 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC