- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chipotle mayonnaise, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, pumpkin, milk and melted butter until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. If desired, serve with chipotle mayonnaise. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Spicy Pumpkin Fritters
Sort By :
"I made a half batch, as written, and it was so bland that it tasted just like fried dough. I then doubled the spices (which effectively quadrupled the spices for the entire recipe) and I still couldn't taste any of the spices. I normally love spicy food, so I was excited to try this, but it was a huge disappointment. I also discovered that a Tbsp is much too large for a fritter of this density; a teaspoon was a much better volume that ensured it got cooked all the way through. I also had to cook them for 2-3 times longer than the recipe stated in order for them to be done in the middle. Sorry, but I have much better recipes to use my pumpkins in."
"I am always excited to try Trisha's unique recipes. These fritters are VERY unique and tasty. I added additional crushed red pepper flakes and the heat was just right. I would love Trisha to create a sweet pumpkin fritter (like a donut hole)--if anyone could do it right it would be her!"
"Not bad. If you want it spicy though, definitely increase the chili powder and red pepper. Mine didn't seem to have any spice at all. But overall an easy, quick recipe."